Adversarial Machine Learning
- focus on adversarial examples on safety applications
Computer and Network Security
- focus on privacy leakage issues on IoT-Cloud architecture and home IoT gateways
Data Privacy and Anonymization
- focus on perturbation-based techniques & differential privacy system implementation
1. Associate Prof., Dept. of Information Manag. and Finance, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, 2021/8 – now
2. Adjunct Associate Prof., College of Artificial Intelligence, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, 2023/2 – now
3. Assistant Prof., Dept. of Information Manag. and Finance, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, 2020/2 – 2021/7
4. Assistant Prof., Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, National Chung Hsing University, 2016/8 – 2020/1
5. Visiting Prof., Center for Advanced Intelligence Project (AIP), RIKEN, 2018/7 – 2018/9
6. Visiting Prof., Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2016/7 – 2016/9
7. Assistant Prof., Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Yuan Ze University, 2013/8 – 2016/7
8. Visiting Prof., Dept. of Mathematics, University of Padua, 2015, 2016, 2017
9. Postodc, Data-Intensive Systems and Analytics, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, 2012/9 – 2013/7
10. Visiting Scholar, Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department, Imperial College London, 2012/1 – 2012/9
11. Visiting Scholar, Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, 2010/9 – 2011/9
1. Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2022 – now
2. Associate Editor, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2020 – now
3. Associate Editor, IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, 2022 – now
4. Associate Editor, IEEE Access, 2014 – 2016
5. Associate Editor, Security and Communication Networks, 2014 – 2016
6. Associate Editor, Journal of Internet Technology, 2016 – now
7. Guest Editor, IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, 2022
8. Guest Editor, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 2019
9. Guest Editor, Future Generation and Computer Systems, 2019
10. Guest Editor, ACM Transactions on Cyber Physical Systems, 2019
Data Science (graduate, 2022 spring, 2021 spring)
Algorithm (gundergraduate, 2022 spring, 2021 fall, 2020 fall)
Object-Oriented Programming (gundergraduate, 2019 spring, 2018 spring, 2017 spring)
Advanced Artificial Intelligence (graduate, 2019 spring)
Privacy-Preserving Computing (graduate, 2019 spring, 2018 spring, 2017 spring)
Statistics (gundergraduate, 2016 fall)
Information Security and Cryptography (gundergraduate, 2016 fall)
Information Security (graduate, 2021 fall, 2020 spring, 2020 fall, 2019 fall, 2018 fall, 2016 fall)
1. IEEE, Senior Member, 2021
2. National Chiao Tung University, Hwa Tse Roger Liang Junior Chair Professor, 2020-2024
3. Ministry of Science and Technology, Young Scholar Fellowship (The Columbus Program), 2020-2025
4. National Chung Hsing University, Junior Distinguished Professor, 2018-2020
5. Taiwan-Japan Workshop on Security and Dependability Technologies for IoT Devices, Best poster Award, 2017
6. ACM/IICM, K. T. Li Young Researcher Award, 2017
7. Pan Wen Yuan Foundation, Observational Research Scholarship, 2017
8. Ministry of Science and Technology, Project for Excellent Junior Research Investigators, 2016-2018
9. Institute of Information and Computing Machinery (IICM), Annual Ph.D. Thesis Award, 2015
10. National Taiwan University, Annual Ph.D. Thesis Award, 2015
11. The Third Workshop on Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (WASN), Best Paper Award, 2009
12. Institute of Information and Computing Machinery (IICM), Annual Master Thesis Award, 2007
13. Student travel grants from Foundation for the Advancement of Outstanding Scholarship (TW), Ministry of Education (TW), National Science Council (NSC, TW), National Science Foundation (NSF, US), IEEE, ACM
1. Chih-Hsun Lin, Chia-Mu Yu, Chun-Ying Huang. DPView: Differentially Private Data Synthesis through Domain Size Information. IEEE Internet of Things Journal.
2. Yen-Ting Chen, Chia-Yi Hsu, Chia-Mu Yu. Charith Perera, and Mahmoud Barhamgi. On the Private Data Synthesis Through Deep Generative Models for Data Scarcity of Industrial Internet of Things. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics. 2022.
3. Chia-Mu Yu, Kang-Cheng Chen, Ching-Tang Chang, and Yen-Wu Ti. SegNet: Deepfake Facial Video Detection Network. Multimedia Systems, 2022.
4. Xuebin Ren, Chia-Mu Yu. Wei Yu, Xinyu Yang, Jun Zhao, and Shusen Yang. DPCrowd: Privacy-preserving and Communication-efficient Decentralized Statistical Estimation for Real-time Crowd-sourced Data. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2021.
5. Tooska Dargahi, Hossein Ahmadvand, Mansour Naser Alraja, and Chia-Mu Yu. Integration of Blockchain with Connected and Autonomous Vehicles: Vision and Challenges. ACM Journal of Information Quality, 2021.
6. Mahmoud Barhamgi, Charith Perera, Chia-Mu Yu. Djamal Benslimane, David Camacho and Christine Bonne. Privacy in Data Service Composition. IEEE Transactions on Service Computing, 2020.
7. Chia-Mu Yu, Sarada Prasad Gochhayat, Mauro Conti, Chun-Shien Lu. Privacy Aware Data Deduplication for Side Channel in Cloud Storage. IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2020.
8. Xuebin Ren, Chia-Mu Yu, Weiren Yu, Shusen Yang, Xinyu Yang, Julie McCann, and Philip S. Yu. LoPub: High-Dimensional Crowdsourced Data Publication with Local Differential Privacy. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2018.
9. Po-Yen Lee, Chia-Mu Yu, Tooska Dargahi, Mauro Conti, and Giuseppe Bianchi. MDSClone: Multidimensional Scaling Aided Clone Detection in Internet of Things. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2018.
10. Hung-Li Chen, Yao-Tung Tsou, Bo-Chen Tai, Szu-Chuang Li, Yennun Huang, Chia-Mu Yu, and Yu-Shian Chiu. Developments and Applications of Data Deidentification Technology Under Big Data. Journal of Electronic Science and Technology (JEST), 2017.
11. Chi-Yuan Chen, Hsin-Min Wu, Lei Wang, Chia-Mu Yu. Practical Integrity Preservation for Data Streaming in Cloud-Assisted Healthcare Sensor Systems. Computer Networks. 2017.
12. Chia-Mu Yu, Chi-Yuan Chen, and Han-Chieh Chao. Privacy-Preserving Multi-Keyword Similarity Search over Outsourced Cloud Data. IEEE Systems Journal, 2017.
13. Chia-Mu Yu, Chun-Shien Lu, and Sy-Yen Kuo. Compressed Sensing-Based Clone Identification in Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2016.
14. Chia-Mu Yu, Chi-Yuan Chen, and Han-Chieh Chao. Verifiable, Privacy-Assured, and Accurate Biomedical Signal Collection for Cloud-Assisted Wireless Body Sensor Networks. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2015.
15. Chia-Mu Yu, Chi-Yuan Chen, and Han-Chieh Chao. Proof of Ownership in Deduplicated Cloud Storage with Mobile Device Efficiency. IEEE Network. 2015.
16. Chia-Mu Yu, Guo-Kai Ni, Ing-Yi Chen, Erol Gelenbe, and Sy-Yen Kuo. Top-k Query Result Completeness Verification in Tiered Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2014.
17. Chia-Mu Yu, Chi-Yuan Chen, Sy-Yen Kuo, Han-Chieh Chao. Privacy-Preserving Power Request in Smart Grid Networks. IEEE Systems Journal, 2014.
18. Chia-Mu Yu, Yao-Tung Tsou, Chun-Shien Lu, and Sy-Yen Kuo. Localized Algorithms for Detection of Node Replication Attacks in Mobile Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2013.
19. Chia-Mu Yu, Sung-Hsien Hsieh, Han-Wen Liang, Chun-Shien Lu, Wei-Ho Chung, Sy-Yen Kuo, and Soo-Chang Pei. Compressed Sensing Detector Design for Space Shift Keying in MIMO Systems. IEEE Communications Letters, 2012.
20. Chia-Mu Yu, Yao-Tung Tsou, Chun-Shien Lu, and Sy-Yen Kuo. Practical and Secure Multi- dimensional Query Framework in Tiered Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2011.
21. Chia-Mu Yu, Yao-Tung Tsou, Chun-Shien Lu, and Sy-Yen Kuo. Constrained Function Based Message Authentication for Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2011.
22. Chia-Mu Yu, Cheng-Chung Li, Chun-Shien Lu, and Sy-Yen Kuo. An Application-Driven Attack Probability-Based Deterministic Pairwise Key Pre-distribution Scheme for Non-Uniformly Deployed Sensor Networks. International Journal of Sensor Networks (IJSNet), 2011.
23. Chia-Mu Yu, Chun-Shien Lu, and Sy-Yen Kuo. Non-Interactive Pairwise Key Establishment for Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2010.
24. Chia-Mu Yu, Chi-Yuan Chen, Chun-Shien Lu, Sy-Yen Kuo, and Han-Chieh Chao. Acquiring Authentic Data in Unattended Wireless Sensor Networks. Sensors Journal, 2010.
Conference Publication (from 2014)
1. Jia-Wei Chen, Chia-Mu Yu, Ching-Chia Kao, Tsai-Wei Pang, and Chun-Shien Lu. DPGEN: Differentially Private Generative Energy-Guided Network for Natural Image Synthesis. IEEE/CVF CVPR, 2022.
2. Chang-Shen Lin, Chia-Yi Hsu. Pin-Yu Chen, and Chia-Mu Yu. Real-World Adversarial Example via Makeup. IEEE ICASSP, 2022.
3. Chia-Yi Hsu, Pin-Yu Chen, Songtao Lu, Sijia Liu, Chia-Mu Yu. Adversarial Examples can be Effective Data Augmentation for Unsupervised Machine Learning. AAAI, 2022.
4. Chia-Yi Hsu, Pin-Yu Chen, Songtao Lu, Sijia Liu, and Chia-Mu Yu. Catastrophic Data Leakage in Vertical Federated Learning. NeurIPS, 2021.
5. Yu-Lin Tsai, Chia-Yi Hsu, Chia-Mu Yu, Pin-Yu Chen. Formalizing Generalization and Adversarial Robustness of Neural Networks to Weight Perturbations. NeurIPS, 2021.
6. Jia-Wei Chen, Li-Ju Chen, Chia-Mu Yu, Chun-Shien Lu. Perceptual Indistinguishability-Net (PI-Net): Facial Image Obfuscation with Manipulable Semantics. IEEE/CVF CVPR, 2021.
7. Yu-Lin Tsai, Chia-Yi Hsu, Chia-Mu Yu, Pin-Yu Chen. Non-Singular Adversarial Robustness of Neural Network. IEEE ICASSP, 2021.
8. Yu-Hsi Chiang, Hsu-Chun Hsiao, Chia-Mu Yu, and Tiffany Hyun-Jin Kim. On the Privacy Risks of Compromised Trigger-Action Platforms. ESORICS, 2020.
9. Chia-Yi Hsu, Pin-Yu Chen, and Chia-Mu Yu. Characterizing Adversarial Subspaces by Mutual Information. ACM ASIACCS, 2019. (poster)
10. Chia-Yi Hsu, Pei-Shuan Lu, Pin-Yu Chen, and Chia-Mu Yu. On the Utility of Conditional Generation Based Mutual Information for Characterizing Adversarial Subspaces. IEEE GlobeSIP, 2019.
11. Pei-Shuan Lu, Pin-Yu Chen, and Chia-Mu Yu. On the Limitation of Local Intrinsic Dimensionality for Characterizing the Subspaces of Adversarial Examples. ICLR workshop, 2018.
12. Pei-Shuan Lu, Pin-Yu Chen, Kang-Cheng Chen, and Chia-Mu Yu. On the Limitation of MagNet Defense against L1-based Adversarial Examples. DSML, 2018.
13. Kang-Cheng Chen, Pin-Yu Chen, and Chia-Mu Yu. REMIX: Mitigating Adversarial Perturbation by Reforming, Masking and Inpainting. IEEE S&P, 2018. (poster)
14. Pei-Shuan Lu and Chia-Mu Yu. A Unified Framework of Differentially Private Synthetic Data Release with Generative Adversarial Network. ACM CCS, 2017. (poster)
15. Hsien-De Huang, Chia-Mu Yu, and Hung-Yu Kao. Look! Ransomware is there: Large Scale Ransomware Detection with Naked Eye. Ruxcon Security Conference, 2017.
16. Hsien-De Huang, Chia-Mu Yu, and Hung-Yu Kao. R2-D2: Color-Inspired Convolutional Neural Network (CNN)-based Android Malware Detection. OWASP AppSec USA, 2017
17. Mahmoud Barhamgi, Mu Yang, Chia-Mu Yu, Yijun Yu, Arosha K. Bandara, Djamal Benslimane, and Bashar Nuseibeh. Enabling End-Users to Protect their Privacy. ACM ASIACCS, 2017. (poster)
18. Chia-Mu Yu. XDedup: Efficient Provably-Secure Cross-User Chunk-Level Client-Side Deduplicated Cloud Storage of Encrypted Data. ACM CCS, 2016. (poster)
19. Hsien-De Huang and Chia-Mu Yu. Adaptive Data-Driven and Region-Aware Detection for Deceptive Advertising. IEEE S&P, San Jose, California, USA, 2016. (poster)
20. Hung-Chuan Wei, Yung-Hao Tung, Chia-Mu Yu. Counteracting UDP Flooding Attacks in SDN. IEEE SDN-IoT, 2016.
21. Chia-Mu Yu. Lightweight Streaming Authenticated Data Structures. ACM CCS, 2015. (poster)
22. Chia-Mu Yu, Shin-Ying Huang, and Yennun Huang. New Techniques for Streaming Authenticated Data Structures. IEEE/IFIP DSN, 2015. (fast abstract)
23. Ting-Hsu Chang, Chia-Mu Yu, Wei-Ho Chung, and Sy-Yen Kuo. Locating Stuck-at Error in Quantum Boolean Circuits. IEEE/IFIP DSN, 2015. (fast abstract)
24. Chia-Mu Yu. HTTP Botnet Resilient to Takedown. IEEE S&P, 2014. (poster)
25. Chia-Mu Yu. Detecting Clones in IoT Environment without Using Location Information. IEEE SECON, 2014.